Thursday, 13 September 2012

Experimentation - workshop 2 (textiles)

The Brief: to produce an outcome which adorns the body whilst exploring grids,layers and reflections. The outcome produced will consider surfaces or textures taken from our everyday surroundings.Interpreting ideas through the manipulation of materials,media,photo's,drawings.mark making etc.

bearing in mind that we only received the brief after the session was finished I believe that my worst nightmare came to life.
Unfortunately the session began with the tutor rambling off what was expected of us as if we were already experienced in textiles which for me may as well have been explained in Russian for all I understood.

On asking for a translation into English I was presented with a piece of paper with squiggly lines on it and asked what it said to me (I thinks something was mentioned about textures and sand) my response to which was that whoever painted them hadn't pressed hard enough with the brush (considering the last thing I painted was a wall!). I don't think she was too impressed, however she proceeded to place a map on an overhead projector and project the highly distorted image onto a piece of paper and paint more squiggly lines in dye onto the paper (not even following the lines of the map by the way). In all honesty my thoughts were ' If you wanted me to paint random lines on a piece of paper then why didn't you just say so.' I really couldn't get my head round the map thing after all what is the point of projecting a map and not even following the lines of the map? However I was determined to create something so I found another acetate of what looked like a painted star burst or firework burst and began to very roughly follow the pattern with different coloured dyes but If I am totally honest I still didn't get it, but here is my first effort anyway.

Experimenting with dyes


After a short break I decided that this really didn't mean anything (in fairness my 1 year old could have produced something similar) so I decided to start from scratch on a piece of material and create something I could relate to a little more so here it is.

The final creation

No comments:

Post a Comment