The activity in question was to take printed media (photographs,postcards,ad flyers,magazines etc,) and plaster over them in different coloured paint spread over it with a ruler (very similar technique to if you were screen printing) however as a photographer I found this activity very distasteful. Whatever the said media may be someone (or several people) spent a lot of time and effort putting it together in that way (the photo-shoot alone can take days to create the perfect shot then when you add the graphic designers,typographers etc. on top of that) to create an artwork in it's own right. We were then expected to deface that work by plastering paint all over it. Lets just say I have very strong opinions and I am not afraid to voice them (yes it became very heated!)
To make it worse a guest artist was there who's whole technique was about defacing photographs with various materials so that the photographs were completely obliterated and who's only comment towards me was what the hell are you doing on an art course!
| painting over found media |
However I promised I would not dwell on the negative and after reluctantly having a go and a short break. I spoke once again to the tutor who I believe then realised that I was not the uneducated cretin I had assumed he had taken me for and recognised that I was an exhibited Photographic artist in my own right and we had a very productive conversation where he showed me some examples of artworks that had incorporated similar techniques to the one he had shown us. Some of which I could relate to and some that I couldn't but that is the nature of art after all.
![]() |
| Kennedy by Robert Rauschenberg |
![]() |
| Mixed media collage by Diane Labombarbe |
so here are the examples of my work.
| 'Solitude' (Courtesy of Matt Howard Photography) |


No comments:
Post a Comment